Well, the new year started on a healthy note.. Welcomed 2012 by making Paneer Salad with Thousand Island Dressing…
- 2 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups of chopped spinach
- Main Ingredient: 2 cups of cubed Paneer/Chicken/ Tofu ( I used Paneer cubed grilled for 2 mins in microwave)
- 1 cup of boiled sweet corn
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1 and 1/2 cup of chopped red, yellow, green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped carrot & onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped orange
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup chopped broccoli ( Add salt & microwave for 1-2 min until soft)
- black pepper- as per taste
- Thousand Island Dressing –bought from Super Market
- To prepare salad, fill a basin with very cold water. Separate the leaves of the romaine lettuce and spinach, clean them very well in the water. Tear the stems off the spinach leaves and discard them. Put the spinach leaves into the cold water along with the lettuce.
- Dry the leaves.
- Now, layer the salad bowl with spinach & lettuce.
- Add the main ingredient – Paneer (Chicken pieces or Tofu (grilled) can also be added)
- Add a generous dash of mozzarella cheese.
- Add sweet corn.(Microwave in medium power for 1 min & then add)
- Add finely chopped red, yellow, green bell peppers, broccoli.
- Add finely chopped cucumber, onions, carrot.
- Add chopped orange, pomegranate, pineapple.
- Next Add the Thousand Island Dressing sufficient enough to coat all the salads.
- Add Black pepper, Toss everything together just before serving. Serve cold.
For this salad, we can add anything after the main ingredient.. Boiled rajma, boiled chickpeas, Avocado, hard boiled egg, purple cabbage, macaroni & whatever you can think of.
Recipe contributed by dear friend, just returned from US.
For the rest of the year, will try making different types of salads: Caesar, Waldorf and Coleslaw salad (Off course veg versions). Oh gr8 plans..